Lots of us are busy packing right now, so it’s a good time for some important reminders!
Let’s start with some important housekeeping reminders.
- If you plan to attend our formal dance, make sure you read the formal dress code! You must be following this dress code to get in, so while you’re still packing, make sure you don’t forget your formal attire! And don’t forget, the formal has moved back inside this year to room 304!
- Nobody plans to lose their badge, but it happens sometimes! We recommend you write a phone number on the back of your badge where you can be reached in the event you lose it. Badges often make their way to Lost and Found and we want to reunite you with it!
- If you plan to attend any 18+ panels, remember you MUST show ID to receive a wristband. Your ID must be legible and we must be able to see the photo. If we can’t read your date of birth, we can’t give you a wristband. Same goes if you want to purchase alcohol in the RCC.
- We don’t allow large bags in the dance or the ROOKiEZ concert. If you need to bring essentials inside with you, bring a bag that is smaller than a fanny pack. Otherwise, you’ll have to leave it in your hotel or use our bag check room.
- Please remember that the handicapped bathroom stalls and family restrooms are NOT changing rooms. There is a limited number of stalls/family restrooms available, so please keep them open and available for those that need them.
- The RCC wants us to remind you that if an escalator breaks, you should NOT use it as stairs. If you notice an escalator has broken, please inform the nearest member of AZ staff, and then find another route. Walking down broken escalators is a hazard, made doubly so by the fact that lots of us are in cosplay or carrying props. Please be safe!
- Do NOT unplug the water stations inside the RCC. Unplugging them causes them to stop functioning and not only prevents your fellow con-goers from getting water, but it potentially damages the machine. Unplugging a water station may result in the loss of your badge. That would be a very unfortunate way to end your convention early.
- Please remember to stay out of the landscaping outside of the RCC. These areas are blocked off for a reason. Trespassing in these areas and trampling plants may result in the loss of your badge.
- Please be courteous to the surrounding properties in downtown Raleigh. The city loves having you all here, so please do your best not to trash the place. Don’t leave litter behind, trample landscaping, or damage buildings.
- Most importantly, remember to have fun!
Many of you have already been checking the forecast and unfortunately there’s rain on the horizon. And while many of us know that summer storms in North Carolina often arrive fast and depart equally quickly (and hopefully that will be the case this weekend!), it’s good to plan ahead for a rainy day. Pack your umbrellas and raincoats! If you’re planning to wait in line, don’t wear anything you wouldn’t want to get wet. We’ll do everything we can to make sure the lines move quickly, but we can never fully promise you won’t get caught in the rain.
One upside to the rain is that temperatures will be a little cooler than usual. But it also brings the humidity. So even though the temperatures will be a little cooler, it’s still important to take care of yourself!
- Keep hydrated! Sometimes it’s hard to remember in all the hustle and bustle, but keeping hydrated is the most important thing you can do. The RCC provides water stations on every floor that dispense cold water. If you plan to be outside a lot, bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a water station.
- Avoid wearing heavy cosplay! We know, we know. Cosplay is part of the fun. But if you expect to be spending a lot of time outside (like waiting in the Thursday registration line), don’t wear your heaviest cosplays. Wait in line, then get changed. If you’re attending a photoshoot in heavy cosplay, make sure to seek out shade and drink lots of water, then head inside to cool off once you’re done!
- Once the rain has stopped, your umbrella can still be used to provide shade from the sun!
One of the most asked questions before the convention is “where do I park?” Luckily for us, there are a ton of options in downtown Raleigh! Nearby parking decks fill early, so we recommend becoming familiar with nearby parking options before making the trek downtown. Your nearby options include:
- The Convention Center Underground Deck accessible from E Lenoir St. This deck is beneath the Marriott hotel.
- The Performing Arts Parking Deck with entrances on W Lenoir St and W South St
- The Cabarrus Parking Deck with entrances off of W Cabarrus St
You can read more about parking options here.
Wow, that was a lot of info, but if you’ve read this far and still have questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.