Lots of us are busy packing right now, so it’s a good time for some important reminders!
Many of you have already been checking the forecast and unfortunately there’s rain on the horizon. And while many of us know that summer storms in North Carolina often arrive fast and depart equally quickly (and hopefully that will be the case this weekend!), it’s good to plan ahead for a rainy day. Pack your umbrellas and raincoats! If you’re planning to wait in line, don’t wear anything you wouldn’t want to get wet. We’ll do everything we can to make sure the lines move quickly, but we can never fully promise you won’t get caught in the rain.
One upside to the rain is that temperatures will be a little (and we mean JUST a little) cooler than usual. But it also brings the humidity. So even though the temperatures will be a little cooler, it’s still important to take care of yourself!
- Keep hydrated! Sometimes it’s hard to remember in all the hustle and bustle, but keeping hydrated is the most important thing you can do. The RCC provides water stations on every floor that dispense cold water. If you plan to be outside a lot, bring an empty bottle and fill it up at a water station.
- Avoid wearing heavy cosplay! We know, we know. Cosplay is part of the fun. But if you expect to be spending a lot of time outside (like waiting in the Thursday registration line), don’t wear your heaviest cosplays. Wait in line, then get changed. If you’re attending a photoshoot in heavy cosplay, make sure to seek out shade and drink lots of water, then head inside to cool off once you’re done!
- Once the rain has stopped, your umbrella can still be used to provide shade from the sun!
One of the most asked questions before the convention is “where do I park?” Luckily for us, there are a ton of options in downtown Raleigh! Nearby parking decks fill early, so we recommend becoming familiar with nearby parking options before making the trek downtown. Your nearby options include:
- The Convention Center Underground Deck accessible from E Lenoir St. This deck is beneath the Marriott hotel.
- The Performing Arts Parking Deck with entrances on W Lenoir St and W South St
- The Cabarrus Parking Deck with entrances off of W Cabarrus St
You can read more about parking options here.
Now for some important housekeeping reminders. We know this stuff isn’t as fun, but it’s just as important!
- Our COVID policy is in effect this year, so please make sure you have read it before you arrive. Not following our COVID policy may result in the loss of your badge. Read it here.
- The RCC wants us to remind you that if an escalator breaks, you should NOT use it as stairs. If you notice an escalator has broken, please inform the nearest member of AZ staff, and then find another route. Walking down broken escalators is a hazard, made doubly so by the fact that lots of us are in cosplay or carrying props. Please be safe!
- Do NOT unplug the water stations inside the RCC. Unplugging them causes them to stop functioning and not only prevents your fellow con-goers from getting water, but it potentially damages the machine. Unplugging a water station may result in the loss of your badge. This is a very stupid way to end your convention early.
- Please remember to stay out of the landscaping outside of the RCC. These areas are blocked off for a reason. Trespassing in these areas and trampling plants may result in the loss of your badge.
- Please be courteous to the surrounding properties in downtown Raleigh. The city loves having you all here, so please do your best not to trash the place. Don’t leave litter behind, trample landscaping, or damage buildings.
- Please remember that the handicapped bathroom stalls and family restrooms are NOT changing rooms. There is a limited number of stalls/family restrooms available, so please keep them open and available for those that need them.
Wow, that was a lot of info, but if you’ve read this far and still have questions, please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.